I must say, I have not bothered to listen to Mos Def since I
was six years old. Mos Def was much more vibrant during the late 90s and early
2000s for me at least. I can remember the times when my brother would
consistently bring posters into our room from a local shop called Skippy
Whites. One of these posters had Mos Def’s picture, and he was definitely looked
upon as one of the strongest MC’s during his time. This man is a lyrical genius. The surprising aspect of Mos
Def to me is that he in a way, seems to have always flown under the radar. He
has surprisingly acquired a gross income of 20 million dollars selling records,
which definitely adds substance to why he is labeled as such a powerful MC in
the rap industry. This song specifically, Hip Hop is definitely one of my top
five favorite tracks from Mos Def. This song consists of a collaboration of
sound tracks from different songs, which makes it so unique. Also, if you
listen to his lyrics, they actually make sense, he is telling his story, which
in return can be traced back to the history of not just himself, or hip hop but
people which include blacks in times of slavery as well as in urban communities
during his time.
No comments:
Post a Comment